Finding art in every day living.

Saturday, May 18, 2013

DIY 10 stop filter



Since I am at the beach this gives me a great opportunity to try out my DIY 10 stop filter. Well, I say 10 stop its more like 11 I guess. Any how, The ND 10 stop filter runs over an excess of 100 US dollars. Being a family man I can not afford to just go out a buy one so here was my "Do it Yourself" fix. I took a cheap protection filter I had laying around and broke the glass out of it leaving the ring. This was wrapped in a towel of-course to catch all the glass and wearing safety glasses just in case. I went to lows and bought a 5 dollar welding replacement shield and some epoxy glue. Glue the ring to the shield (Threads facing outwards) LoL..Do not want to glue it backwards so it then would not screw to the lens. Let it set over night.  On a good bright day set the camera up on a tripod get it in focus then set the camera to manual so as not to change focus when pressing the shutter button. Carefully screw on the shield so as not to change the focus. Set the camera up so you can leave the shutter open for extended time (Bulb Setting). This shot the shutter was open for a few minutes. You will need to take a few shots at different time lengths so as to get the right exposure you are searching for. The photo will be green due to the color of the shield but a little Light Room work to get the white balance ya wanting and TaDaaaa. I have to admit I love how it makes the water of the ocean look so smooth.. The fun in trying to get this is a total blast for me...

No comments:

Post a Comment